The Building Management System (BMS) is a computer -based control system installed in buildings that controls and monitors the building’s mechanical and electrical equipment etc. such as ventilation, lighting, power systems , fire systems, sprinkler systems , access control systems , energy management systems and security systems. A BMS consists of hardware and software , the software program usually configured in a hierarchical manner can be proprietary using such protocols as C-bus, Profibus and so on. Many vendors are also producing BMS that integrate using Internet Protocols open standards such as DeviceNet, SOAP, XMC , BACnet ,Lon Works , OPC , Advanced DDE and Modbus.
The BMS plays its part in optimizing building performance , improving building control , improving energy and operating efficiency and lower lifecycle costs of the highly automated industrial and commercial buildings.
I have managed to compile some data from the Honeywell website which a leader in BMS technology and another company called Systems Control Limited.
The BMS description and features :
- Is an high end intelligent building controller
- An essential tool in the fine tuning of internal operations of building of any size
- Has an ability to automate buildings ‘ access control , air-conditioning ,lighting , survelliance and security.
- It eliminates headache for the managers and personnels and creates a more comfortable , secure and energy efficient work place.
- Building control technology make building more comfortable, safer , secure and efficient.
- Control solutions are designed to solve unique challenges from communicating commercial thermostats that can be programmed and changed remotely to a full range of advanced HVAC , energy lighting , security , access , fire and life safety and industrial process controls.
- HVAC controls provides convenient single - point monitoring and control the building’s HVAC , lighting , energy management and environmental controls.
- High performance digital control systems helps improve the facility’s indoor environment while cutting energy and equipment costs and features sequences of operations.
- Provides centralized alarming and card holder management features including a fully integrated photo ID badging system.
- Customizes graphic displays to improve critical information management
- Interfaces with third party CCTV controller
- Integrates with time and attendance files and human resources , financial and inventory management databases
- Provides comprehensive standards and customized reports
The latest technology in the form of the Smart BMS and Intelligent Buildings will be easily integrated with the Smart Grid and mobile telecommunications.